Following its E3 2021 reveal, Microsoft has ramped up the marketing for Redfall, a new cooperative shooter from Arkane Austin, the team behind 2017’s Prey. But Redfall aims to be something completely different from the studio’s past game, with a new vampire theme set on the fictional island of Redfall, Massachusetts. But what exactly is Redfall, how will it play, and when will it launch?
Below is everything you need to know about the upcoming cooperative FPS, Redfall.
- The best games on Xbox Game Pass for 2022
- The best Xbox Series X games for 2022
- The best FPS games for Xbox Series X
Redfall is gearing up to launch on May 2, 2023. It was initially supposed to come out in the summer of 2022, but was delayed to the first half of 2023 before getting its new release date. Given just how common delays are, it’s unclear if Redfall will stick to its May 2 release date, but our fingers are crossed.
Since Arkane Studios falls under the Bethesda umbrella, which is now owned by Microsoft, it should come as no surprise that Redfall is exclusive to Xbox. It will come to Xbox Series X/S and PC, and will, of course, be available on Xbox Game Pass day one. It’s unlikely the game will come to PlayStation or Nintendo, given that it’s a first-party Microsoft product.
Microsoft has practically released a new Redfall trailer at every one of its digital showcases since the game’s reveal, so there’s plenty to watch. We won’t list them all here, but just the main ones you should be aware of.
Redfall was announced at E3 2021 with a CGI trailer. It didn’t show off much, but it gave a look at its main characters, along with some of the enemies you’ll be up against.
Then, during the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase 2022, we were treated to our first bit of gameplay. We see each of the four main characters in action, along with an assortment of enemies, new locations, and a few of the different weapons you’ll be able to unlock as you play.
The most recent trailer doubles down on gameplay, giving us a look at the world, characters, and many of the combat scenarios you’ll get thrown into in Redfall.
Arkane bills Redfall as an open-world co-op shooter. That sounds a lot like Left 4 Dead, and it even has a motley cast of characters to rival those of the iconic shooter. So far, we’ve seen four big character reveals, each with their own background, skills, and personality.
- Devinder Crousley: A paranormal investigator and amateur cryptozoologist, Crousley wants to figure out what happened to Redfall and expose the truth to the world.
- Layla Ellison: After studying biomedical engineering at Redfall Technical University, Ellison interned at Aevum Therapeutics. Something apparently went wrong at the facility, although all she remembers is waking up with telekinetic powers.
- Remi de la Rosa: A combat engineer with a brilliant mind, Remi de la Rosa is accompanied by Bribon — her robotic ally — as she tries to save the town of Redfall.
- Jacob Boyer: An ex-military sharpshooter, Boyer is in Redfall as part of a private security operation. He’s now got a “mysterious vampiric eye” and commands a spectral raven that does his every bidding.
Keep in mind, you cannot change your character after starting a particular campaign. If you want to play as a new character, you’ll have to start a different campain.
Redfall is an RPG adventure, with players facing off “against a legion of vampires that have overtaken the once-quaint island town of Redfall.” The game is said to take cues from other titles in the Arkane roster — such as Prey and Dishonored — so it’ll be curious to see how your actions shape the world around you and impact the moment-to-moment combat.
As far as actual gameplay, Redfall is an FPS, although each character brings their own set of unique skills and gear to the battle. These will be customizable, as you’ll find ways to upgrade them as you play through each round. You’ll be up against vampires that are the result of a science experiment gone wrong, with some of them taking on various superpowers. For example, the Angler — seen in one of the trailers — uses a psychic harpoon to pull players away from their group, leaving them open to subsequent attacks.
Like other titles from Arkane, you’re free to engage in combat as you see fit. Trailers showed off fast-paced, aggressive action and sneaky stealth tactics to avoid conflicts altogether. You’ll also explore lighthouses, dilapidated diners, movie theaters, and even tourist traps such as festival grounds and local shops within the town of Redfall.
Arkane said that each round will play out differently than the last, and the team is very much focused on building a world you’ll want to explore. If Prey and Dishonored are anything to go by, expect a world brimming with mysteries to uncover and a lore book that’s deceptively deep.
As featured on the game’s FAQ, it was revealed that Redfall will require a persistent internet connection to play the single-player mode, which did not sit well with the community.
While Redfall will be playable solo (without bots), it’s truly designed for co-op, with up to four-player parties supported. Each player can select one of the four characters listed above to tackle missions, while also earning XP and progression for them along the way. As explained during an IGN interview, only the host’s mission progress will save, meaning players who have joined will have to make their own story progress separately. Though, all your gear and XP remain persistent regardless of whether you’re the host or not. It’s also important to note that there can be multiple of the same character within a particular party, which alleviates any frustrations with being locked out of your favorite vampire hunter.
Redfall is finally available to pre-order and there are a couple of versions you should be aware of.
The Standard Edition costs $70 and includes a copy of the game, along with the following bonuses for pre-ordering:
- Grim Tide Shotgun
- Polar Vortex Multi-Weapon Skin
- Blood Ravager Stake Weapon Attachment
The Bite Back version, on the other hand, costs $100 but includes a copy of the game and the aforementioned pre-order bonuses, along with the following:
- Hero Pass with Two Future Heroes
- Laser Beam Multi-Weapon Skin
- Tactical Knife Stake Weapon Attachment
- Northern Expedition Devinder Outfit
- Eyes in the Dark Jacob Outfit
- War Clothes Layla Outfit
- Engineer Volunteer Remi Outfit
Keep in mind, the Game Pass version is only the Standard Edition, so if you want the extra goodies, you’ll have to spend some cash.
- Final Fantasy XVI turns accessibility options into equippable gear
- The best NES games of all time
- The best free flight simulators
- The best upcoming PS5 games: 2023 and beyond
- Best PlayStation Plus Deals: Save on Essential, Plus and Premium